Thursday, February 4, 2010

Future Plans

So I'm working a night job.

It's just a few nights a week.  And I don't have much to do in the mornings afterward, so it's not like I should be able to complain.  It's a job, for theblastedeconomy's sake.
H
o
w
e
v
e
r,
it may be giving me diabetes.  At least that's what my boss said was possible at our meeting last night, if we regularly deprive ourselves of sleep.

And here's the thing.  Even after climbing in to bed at 3:35 a.m. last night, I cannot sleep in after 9:30.  Try as I may (I even pulled the blinds closed last night, which I never do), I cannot get sleep in any longer--my body just wakes up and feels like roadkill in spite of itself. 


Have you ever noticed your face looking paler the morning after you've gotten too few zzz's?  
[I have.  Mine does.]


Also: after 5 days of getting 6 or fewer hours of sleep each night, your body is as functional as if you are operating over the legal limit.  So don't drive. 
Complications may vary.  People hold their liquor/sleep differently.



Thus, here I am with my postnightjob hangover, worrying about diabetes and coming up with future plans. 



Things to do when I someday work in a school/office that hires out for cleaning:
Put garbage cans in easy-to-reach places.

Use only one community garbage can for a medium-sized room.  People can get up and throw their things away if they need to--most likely they just ate fast food (as the nightly entrails often suggest) so a little exercise is probably warranted.

 Do something about it right away if someone gets sick on the toilet.  No need to wait until the cleaning crew comes around and it's so encrusted that it might as well be painted porcelain.

Require that people tidy up their desks to allow for proper dusting.
Leave nice little messages for the cleaning crew, like this:
 
and maybe even some treats.

Allow the cleaning crew to have a slice of our left over birthday cake if I'm going to leave it out where they can see it.  I mean, I don't want to be rude.
Leave the automatic hand sanitizer dispenser on at night for their convenience.

Teach my class to sing "we love you, janitor"--like that song on Bye Bye Birdie--and have it set as my computer screen saver.  But not forever, just for a few days.  That might get annoying, very much like the movie does.

Only have them replace the trash lining if it's over half full.  Why would I waste supplies because one person spit his chewed gum in an empty bag?

My building would have...

doors that don't lock people out when they close.

people sharing desks.

no glass windows where kids could reach them with their grubby little hands.

only one story.

outlets in every room for vacuuming purposes.

its own cleaning supplies on hand, so the poor cleaning people don't have to lug buckets and mops around everywhere with them.
mops with sliver-free handles and very draggy bottoms in order to provide the best oblique work out possible.

chairs with wheels that can be moved out of the way very easily.




OR...

I'd tell the office guys to wipe their own butts.
 
 
But really, it's not all that bad.  It's the alcohol talking.

1 comment:

background